Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wednesday Wisdom @ SLIG


OH MY GOODNESS I am here in Salt Lake City where the
legiondary LIBRARY is located. I am here. I am pinching
myself to make sure it is really true. OCH! Yep it is true.

Why am I here, you ask. I am attending the SLIG conference for
the first time.

SLIG? Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy - it is an annual event that
the Utah Genealogical Association hosts. I am very excited.

What makes this one different than the other conferences I attend
throughout the year? Most all of the other conferences I attend offer 1 hour classes, special workshop, roundtables, banquets and a market place usually all over a two to three day period.

This conference is one week long 8:30-4 daily Monday to Friday.  There  is a welcome get together on Sunday evening, a special presentation Monday evening and a closing Banquet on Friday evening. There should be LIBRARY time too with some expert guidance. You register for one topic,  You will be getting a very concentrated presentation, an in depth study in the one topic you have chosen. I have chosen 'Intermediate US Records and Research'  with Paula Stuart Warren,  Josh Taylor and Debbie Mieszala. They each alternate talking about various subjects dealing with US Records - Planning, Vital Records, Church Records, US Passports, US Census, Clustering, Twentieth & Twenty-First Century Research and so much more.........  it is an amazing week!! I have taken several classes from Paula over the years,  She is a very accomplished speaker and presenter.

If you are not familiar, it has been around for at least 20 years. There are a couple of participants that have actually attended all of them, Amazing! Several years back I heard about it about it and for whatever reason thought it was more for want to be professionals but it is not. It doesn't hurt that the LIBRARY is right up the street.



One of the benefits is being reunited with many old friends and making new friends. Being with people that do understand the happy dance or the yell out at the microfilm desk .... everyone understands.

We have been kept busy but there is still plenty of time for your own research too. It does make for long days probably 13 hours awake and going, then maybe a couple more hours on your computer in your room or getting what you did today organized and ready for the next day. It sounds overwhelming and it can be so I am just setting my own pace and trying not to get too tired and remembering to eat. (ok ok it wouldn't hurt to miss a couple of meals but WHY)

Check out the Utah Genealogical Association for more of the details of the this week.......  see all the different subjects they offer. And you can see when the 2017 sessions will happen.


This is not my first time at the LIBRARY in SLC but it is my first SLIG conference. There are about 360 participants and over half of them are first timers. Apparently these are all records. We also have someone from Netherlands, China and India, now those are LONG trips.  Oh the conference is being held in the Hilton which is two blocks (L O  N  G BLOCKS)south of the LIBRARY. Luckily for me (and many others) SLIG has provided a bus to take people back and forth all the week.

Last night we had a plenary session with Rev Dr David McDonald who blogs "Thinking Genealogically"  check out his blog .........  I have to say it was a fun night, I laughed so much my face was hurting, just what we needed. Excellent first night. If you ever get a chance to listen to him, do it, you won't regret it. He is also teaching  "Early US Church Records". The two DNA classes are huge  and full, it is a hot topic right now.



I am getting ready for class tomorrow and for late night at the LIBRARY tomorrow night..... and I am tired but fired up about being here. Thankful that I am financially but healthy enough to attend.





Getting organized for tomorrow, and putting information and new records I've  found into my Legacy program. Wifi is free and strong so we are all doing a lot more from our rooms.

Yes I have found stuff already.........  I have found 3 new marriages, a passenger list from Baltimore, and confirmed a maiden name,,,,,,,, ahhhhhhhhh, life is good!
But it is not all FUN there is playtime too................. oh my LIFE IS GOOD!!  Cheers!!!





For comments please contact me I'd love to hear from you............

No comments:

Post a Comment