Thursday, November 27, 2014

Those Places Thursday - Happy Thanksgiving


What does Thanksgiving Day mean? What does it mean to you?


What traditions are attached to this day and to the season that you do, that you look forward to doing? Is it family and friends? Is it the food? 

Do you gather with family and friends to play football? OR do you gather to watch football on TV? Or to run a marathon especially for charity? 

Getting together with friends for a movie? 

OR do you go away for the holiday? Maybe to the snow and skiing? Maybe to Reno or Las Vegas for a little gambling and a show or two? 

Do you give your time on Thanksgiving Day? Serving those that have less than you, helping in a shelter or soup kitchen?


We all need to remember that these holidays mean different things to each of us, and we need to respect those differences.

This is my favorite holiday...... simple. The weather cools down, the tree leaves change from one magnificent color to another, the air smells cleaner and fresher ........it becomes all about Family and Friends. No pressures, no gift giving - just a gathering for a meal.


As long as I can remember I have always had Thanksgiving Dinner at my parents home with other family members. Of course there are always exceptions but for the most part that is what I have always done while I was single, when I got married and when I had children.


When I was married with teen age children, Thanksgiving Day started with a gathering of teenage boys and football in the outer acreage.......  it could be sunny, it could be raining or it could be wet.......
.....it didn't matter they were always out there playing football on Thanksgiving Day........... Then my children married and began having children and there were no more football games. But coming together on Thanksgiving still continues.......  now my married children have another set of parents so the holidays are split or are celebrated on different days. Does that matter? Not to me it doesn't........ I just want that eye to eye contact, share with them all the wonderful things that have happened and hear their stories. It is all about family.

You must have stories of your own, have you written them down so they won't be forgotten?

I don't really think that there are any strong traditions for this family at Thanksgiving, except to celebrate together. It is difficult some years to be together so we do the best we can,  But when we are together it is good. Any problems seem to melt away for the day and family talk about the good times in the past and for the future. But I am realizing that what held us together was my Dad......... not the day. So I need to step up and not loose those memories for my grandchildren and their children's children.

Our traditional dinner usual consists of turkey, dressing, gravy, mash potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, green bean casserole, Mom's Jello mold, my spinach salad, cranberry sauce, rolls, relish tray of giant olives, artichoke hearts, mini sweet gherkins. And of course pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and another pie like apple or berry.  Not sure how any of us could stand up or walk after this feast but we can and we do.............  cleaning up is a group activity so it goes quickly.......... After that, we seem to go out for a walk around the neighborhood, boy does that help get you moving again.


These days Thanksgiving Day is spent out - out at a restaurant. But it is still family around the table no matter where it is........  My oldest son has a home now and has started to take on the responsibility of the holidays in place of my parents. Dad is no longer with us and Mom well, she is just trying to remember.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL - (Dad), Mom, Chuck, Mike, Jason, Ashlyn, Aden, Josh, Barb.....&                    to all my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment